Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the EDLARJ is to dismantle racism, white privilege, and white power by recognizing and confessing our individual and corporate sin, and addressing institutional racism in the church and society by:
- Organizing as white people who will stand with people of color in the struggle to address and dismantle racism;
- Reclaiming our biblical heritage as one family created in God’s image;
- Educating ourselves and others within the ELCA about racism and our participation in systems that oppress others and privilege us;
- Working within the ELCA to fulfill its commitments to anti-racist multiculturalism, and to become inclusive and anti-racist;
- Learning more about the many rich and diverse cultures and national identities that currently are, or that will be, present in the ELCA, its ecumenical partners, and interfaith relationships.