Here are some highlights of our General Assembly (Business Meeting) last Saturday morning at Prior Lake, MN.
Learned that the Board had met under the guidance of Al Sager onThursday to complete objectives for the earlier identified goals of enhancing communications within the EALA and ELCA, enlarging the process and role of membership, creating cross-cultural contacts with the other 5 ethnic associations, and developing a greater public issues witness.
- Heard a recommendation that Standing Committees be created on Nominations and Biennial Conferences
- Approved the Bylaw amendment emailed earlier to EALA member on the manner of the Board's Annual Report plus the 3 Continuing Resolutions included at the same time
- Received the resolutions emailed to the membership for Structural Change That Leads the ELCA To Become an Anti-Racist Cross-Cultural Church and Improve ELCA Communication About and Use of Ethnic Associations as information for sharing at the First Ethnic Associations' Leadership Summitt scheduled for early January in Chicago
- Elected Ms Beverly Dirkin (1st 4 yr. term) and re-elected Rev. Paul Bauman (2nd 4 yr. term), Rev. Fred Thomas Breitfeld (2nd 4 yr.), Ms. Cathy Crimi (2nd 4 yr.), Mr. Harlan Johnson (2nd 4 yr.), Rev. Sandy Jones (2nd 4 yr.), Ms. Katherine Long (2nd 4 yr.) as members of the 13 member Board of Directors (Other Board Members are Rev. Mark Cerniglia, Ms.Rosemarie Doucette, Rev. Peter Krey, Rev. Russell Meyer, Rev Wayne Shelkson, and Rev. Andrew Tengwell)
- Elected as officers Rev. Fred Thomas Breitfeld, President (1st 2 yr. term) and Ms Beverly Dirkin, Secretary (1st 2 yr.) and re-elected Rev. Andrew Tengwell, Vice-President (2nd 2 yr.) and Rev. Wayne Shelkson, Treasurer (2nd 2 yr.) (Bylaws limit officers to 2 consecutive terms.)
- Thanked Rev. Linda Johnson Seyenkulo and Matthew Smith for their service on the Board of Directors and Kathy Long for serving 4 years as EALA's first president
Minutes of the General Assembly will be available at a later date.
For the Communication Team,
Paul Bauman, Convenor
The European American Lutheran Association (EALA) is one of six ethnic associations within the Ethnic Specific and Multicultural Ministries of the ELCA’s Congregational and Synodical Mission unit. The EALA was constituted in Chicago, October 2008 to join the other ethnic associations, Afirican Descent, American Indian and Alaska Native, Arab and Middle Eastern Heritage, Asian and Pacific Islander, and Latino. Its tag line is "Partnering for racial inclusion and justice" and its mission is "To be a visible and nameable anti-racist witness for a cross-cultural church". Its 2nd Biennial Conference and General Assembly was held October 18-21, 2012 in Prior Lake, MN with the American Indian and Alaska Native Association. 97% of the ELCA’s membership can identify themselves as European American, descendants of European immigrants. Invite others to join us through our website www.crossculturalchurch.org.